Subject: Re: [office-comment] Suggested addition: Binder-like file format

Hi Kris,

Reply to sender always sends back to sender... Reply All sends to every email address in the To: and Cc: fields.
I checked the email headers, and there is no reply-to: address in there, and as you are sender the reply goes to you.

So, the mail apps are behaving as they should be.

I am not sure how it works, but I don't get the mails twice (one direct, and 1 from the list). Therefore I assume the list is 'clever' in that it, while forwarding, omits email addresses which are in the To: and Cc: lists.
Do you get each reply twice?

In the light of above Rely-all seems the appropriate way of answering. Reply to sender does not put the reply on the list server.

Rob.

Op 8 jan. 2015, om 16:38 heeft Kris Krehart het volgende geschreven:

If that's the way it's working for you, then something's messed up in your email client. I've been using Gmail for several years via it's web-client, and for me Gmail has *always* used the Reply-To address if available and the From address otherwise. That's the way the Reply button is supposed to work everywhere, at least according to all the geeks I know (one of which works as an IT professional and a volunteer for an open source project that ran it's own email server). Every other mailing list I've used has always put the mail list's email address in the From field, and some of them even put it in the Reply-To field just to be safe.

Like you I have better things to worry about than where my messages are going when I click Reply: I expect the replies to go where I expect them to go according to the rules that email is supposed to follow, rather than having to do my own cut-and-paste job.

--
Kris Krehart

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Paul Merrell <marbux@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Kris Krehart <kriskrehart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not asking you to do a "cut and paste job", there's a much simpler
> solution: use the Reply button instead of the Reply All to send your
> sending me the messages.
>
> The difference between Reply and Reply All is quite simple: the Reply button
> will send replies directly to the mailing list since messages from the
> mailing lists come "from" the mailing list address, while the Reply All
> simply copies all email addresses found in the email headers.

Not with my instance of gmail. Reply sends it just to the poster, not
to the list.  Check it out.

--
Kris Krehart