Subject: Re: [office-comment] Version Control / Open Documents as git repositories

Hello Hadmut,

GIT support for ODF will likely come as soon there is a way to dispatch isolated changes of the ODF document, instead of exchanging solely the full changed document. But instead of going for the normal line based diff approach as for common source code git commit representations, there will be user changes being defined for ODF.

The ODF TC has established a subcommittee (SC) called the Advanced Document Collaboration SC, which is working on this topic.
Precisely on change-tracking, which is just a flavour of this problem area.
You may take a look the latest minutes and the PDF slides attached from a FOSDEM talk: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201802/msg00001.html

Also, you may want to take a look at the current draft:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=62086&wg_abbrev=office-collab

Hope this helps,
Svante

On 12.02.2018 18:32, Michael Stahl wrote:

> 1. there is a non-standard extension in LibreOffice to store a
> VersionList.xml file in the ODF package and then older versions inside
> subdirectories of the package, does that meet your needs?

Not really. It does not solve the problem of distributed storage, and it
still requires to store copies for the case of crash or other damage.

And it sounds as if the document increases it's size with every version.
E.g. if I have an embeded video of 2MB and some pictures of 1MB in a
document or presentation, does every older version occupy 3MB then?

> 2. alternatively you can use the "Flat XML ODF * Document" export
> filters to create documents that are a single XML file and use git to
> version them.

Again: put 3MB of binaries into a flat XML. That's a nightmare. And some
of my impress presentations are around 20MB.

> 4. likely it's possible to do this with some sort of external document
> management system too, e.g. LibreOffice can connect to CMIS servers.

As far as I know they also treat documents as atomic binaries.

regards
Hadmut

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org