Subject: Re: [office-formula] Request for Introductions - Please, introduce yourselfto us!

I'm Rob Weir.   I live/work in Westford, Massachusetts, which is an hour north and west of Boston.

Harvard College, '91,  Astronomy and Astrophysics, with emphasis on scientific computing.  Joined Lotus Development Corporation in 1991 and have been here ever since.  Of course, we merged into IBM in 1995, but the group I'm with still has an emphasis on end-user productivity tools, as well as Portals and Workplaces.  My wife works for IBM, my father worked for IBM 30 years before retirement, and my uncle still works for IBM.  So, it is something of the family business <g>.

Obviously, from a corporate perspective we have a long history of spreadsheet implementations, from 1-2-3, to Improv to Workplace, and all the little things in between, like Lotus Symphony, Lotus Works, Lotus Components, eSuite and Portal Productivity Editors.   On the implementation side I've worked on a little of everything over the years.  Most recently in this domain, I've lead a number of file conversion efforts over the years, including converting between 1-2-3, Excel, HTML and XML, and similar conversions between Word/Wordpro/XML and Powerpoint/Freelance Graphics/XML.

My main interest in formulas is to see this hole in the specification filled.  It is not too much of an exaggeration to say that a modern spreadsheet is just eye candy on top of formulas.  If you don't have the formulas specified, then you have not specified the most important part of the spreadsheet.

Goals for the formulas language?  I want a good spec, in terms of solid, testable, normative statements, and a good review to identify and remedy ambiguities.  Knowing that a flaw in a specification, or even an implementation, can have long-lasting impact for decades and complicate future work done by children yet unborn (just think of the legacy 1900 leap year bug in current spreadsheets), I'm more inclined toward a formula language that is clean, pure and elegant, than one which captures every wrinkle and wart of existing implementations.  In my mind, the up-front cost of converting to something clean will pay for itself in years ease of maintenance and simplified future app development.

Also, I'd like to keep us mindful of programs smaller than a full spreadsheet editor.  200,000 lines of C++ code running on a  1.4Ghz processor can handle whatever you throw at it.  But I'd like to keep in mind things like PDA's, cellphones, web services, wiki's, etc., which may not have these resources available.

-Rob