Subject: Re: [office-formula] Request for Introductions - Please, introduce yourself to us!

My name is Tom Metcalf (I do go by "Tom") and, like David, I am here via the OpenDocument Fellowship.  I am a spreadsheet user, not a developer, but a user's perspective is perhaps useful. I am a scientist by profession, specializing in the astrophysics of the Sun, so the mathematical aspects of the specification are of the most interest to me.

 My primary interest is to do what I can to ensure that I can exchange data and information with colleagues and know that we can all access it equally.  It is also important to me to be able to reproduce results in perpetuity.  I believe that a well designed, open spec, one that is adopted by most if not all of the major implementations, is the best way to achieve these goals.  So, rather than wait and hope that the spec will be successful, I would like to do what I can to move it forward.

 While there are no doubt many ways to help, the formula spec is a natural for me given my background in mathematics. I am not supported to work on this, but I consider it sufficiently important to devote some of my spare time to the effort.