Subject: Re: [office-formula] Key Issues

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> If we want, is sufficient for us to define ODF formulas period,
> and leave it to a future specification to define subset and superset
> profiles for various other uses.  This could even be done by vendors or
> on an industry basis,

Well, spreadsheets are a mature industry. In a sense, vendors have
already decided best practices. So, we could follow your approach
without waiting a few years. For example, take the intersection of most
interesting spread sheets and call that "basic". Take a spreadsheet that
focuses on the scientific field (Gnumeric? - not sure) and use that to
get the "science" package. You get the idea.

I can't decide where I stand on the levels vs packages issue. I can see
good arguments for both sides. I'll comment more when I have something
meaningful to comment.

> So maybe we can start by standardizing a way for implementations to
> define profiles, but we don't standardize on any profiles ourselves?

If we know of a current implementation that focuses on a specific area,
we could ask them to submit a profile now-ish.

> Think of C/C++.  When C was standardized, it had a single set of
> required libraries.  But eventually there emerged subsets for embedded
> uses and supersets for more specific uses.  Ditto for HTML.

I understand. I think spreadsheets are pretty standarized already
though. They've been around for a while. So we can define packages now.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org