Subject: Re: [office-formula] Key Issues

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Another way to look at it is to take the common intersection
> (as you say) of current implementations and standardize that
> set of functions.  We can leave it at that.  If vendors then
> want to define subsets or supersets of that for special uses,
> then let them.  And if something really interesting happens
> with a particular profile/level/package set, then we (or
> someone else) can standardize that in the future.

If an implementation implements only a subset, can they claim to be conformant to the spec?  One advantage of levels is that a very minimal implementation might claim to be conformant at level 1 and a more complete implementation could claim to be conformant at level 2, or level 3, or whatever.  Levels or packages would also make it easier for a spreadsheet to declare what is required to read it (e.g. "level 2" or "basic plus package blarch").

Tom