Subject: Re: [office-formula] Key Issues

I unfortunately don't have too much time to contribute to this
interesting set of conversations (I'm really trying hard to get my
spreadsheet shipped in version 1.0 and I'm the only developer...).
However, as one who has created spreadsheets for new areas more than
once (the original one, a pen-based one, and now a browser-based one)
I know that spreadsheets are NOT "mature". They are only mature in
light of the computer systems of the day they were designed. New
capabilities are coming about in terms of I/O and application areas
and spreadsheets need to address them. Also, ODF itself as well as
the world of open source for experimentation (you couldn't experiment
much with the Excel/1-2-3/etc. source code) will make this innovation
even more likely than in the past.

For example, laser printers brought in the much greater need for cell
font/border/etc. formatting. Ink (on pen-based computers) brought in
ink data type. HTML (with its built-in auto formatting like "fit to
screen width", viewer defined styles, etc.) as the main result
(instead of a printed page) will bring in others (as I'm finding out
in wikiCalc). Complex arithmetic is only one type of "new" operations
we may need for the data types we'll want to deal with in a spreadsheet.

Also, the availability, through open source and proprietary cousins,
of components and the continued drive to use them, means specialized uses.

This all means that the set of commonly implemented functions will
grow, even if not all spreadsheets need / should make available all of them.

The UI tradeoffs a developer makes in creating a ***usable***
spreadsheet program may affect the subset of data types and functions
to support. I believe that the success of the spreadsheet as a
commonly used tool stems from the wide area of things it can do but
most importantly with how easy many people found it was to apply to
those areas. UI issues come into play here. A syntax for data
interchange that can support a really wide range of data types,
reference types, etc., and be easy to manipulate, etc., will almost
certainly be too cumbersome for common use. Remember how 1-2-3's
A1/$A$1 form won out in terms of use over the more "complete" and
"elegant" earlier R1C1/R[+1]C[+1] format of Multiplan even in
Microsoft's products. So we need to leave flexibility to the
spreadsheet UI developer in how formulas are entered, displayed, and
edited. What's important, I think, is that SUM or SIN work as
expected. We don't distinguish between SIN written as a string of
ASCII text with parenthesis vs. as a formula with implied
parenthesis. We use them both but we expect the numeric results to be the same.

We need to think of ODF as lasting for decades and decades. UIs will
evolve and data types and their manipulation primitives will evolve.
The format for saving the formulas, though, can be made to handle
such evolution at least to the extent we've seen it in the past and
can foresee the future.

Back to coding.

-DanB