Subject: Re: [office-formula] Comments from Dan Bricklin

David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:

> We COULD just define a large collection of operators and functions.  We could
 > then predefine a set of "packages" that identify a set of REQUIRED functions or
 > groups of functions (directly or via other packages).  That way, you can say "My
 > spreadsheet file requires the financial and complex number packages", or
 > whatever, and then you can see if YOUR implementation has those packages.
 > If it does, you're set.

When working on OpenFormula, I was hooked on the idea of levels.  But I am starting to think that packages would be a more flexible solution to the problem that the levels were designed to address.  As time goes by, new packages could be added to the spec without much difficulty.  Redefining levels and the contents of levels would be awkward at best.

 Regards,

 Tom