Subject: Re: [office-formula] Request for Introductions - Please, introduceyourself to us!

(resending...)

On 2/24/06, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:
>> Could everyone on the office-formula mailing list introduce themselves
>> to everyone else, by doing a "reply-all" to this email?

Name: Richard Kernick, called Richard (mostly), sometime Rich, will
answer to anything except Richie or Dick :-D .

Studied Computer Science (BSc) at University of the Witwatersrand,
Johannesburg, South Africa.

Now living/working in London, UK for multi-national organisation in
financial sector. Role is primarily one of Infrastructure Architect, so
I'm always asking the question, 'How does that fit into the bigger
picture?', and trying to figure a way through seemingly incompatible
requirements. Like Tom, I am a user of spreadsheets, and perhaps have an
insight into their application in a client serving business
organisation. I am also a coder, although somewhat lapsed, and will
fiddle with almost any language - primarily I use Java (because I know
it) and VB (because it's easy and many others understand it). I have a
tendency to be a purist - it must be exactly right, because otherwise
it's just wrong - but I recognise the need for pragmatism within that.

 From a personal point of view I want computers to just work. I hate it
when computers get in the way of real users, who shouldn't have to
understand the things we do. Interoperability and integration is how I
approach most aspect of computing and spreadsheet formulae are no
exception. I want a specification that will achieve the goal of
interoperability (including operating within the framework of current
implementations), yet provides a way forward that gets away from some of
the baggage that we still carry - e.g. the 1900 leap year (because it's
just wrong ;-) ).

-- Richard Kernick.