Subject: Re: [office-formula] Semantics

Tomas Mecir wrote:
Hmmm. What about DEFINING the text-conversion routines, to be
locale-independent ? This is about a file format, right ? The apps
WILL have to store numbers in a locale-neutral way - probably using
the US locale. So, why not make it so that text constants can get
auto-converted to numbers using only the english locale ? For simple
numbers (integer), this will work normally, for the rest, it's the
same as if it was not supported at all - we get interoperability,
because everyone parses using the same rules, and we also get
flexibility. The best from both worlds :)

a1: ="1"
a2: ="5"
a3: =a1&"."&a2
a4: =1*a3

How do you make that locale independent? We will have similar problems with dates.

I'm not really sure how to handle these. I suspect we should leave this issue until later.

--- Richard Kernick