Subject: Re: [office-formula] Grammar (Rationales, etc.)

"David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 03/13/2006 01:30:37 PM:

> I think the final FORMAL standard should NOT contain much (if any)
> comments on
> specific implementations. A small non-normative section about them
> would, I think, be fine,
> but not a lot, and certainly not a lot interspersed throughout the document.
>
> Yet if we want to finish this year, I think we NEED to include a lot of
> information about
> real implementations throughout the document. Otherwise, we'll spend all
> our time repeating to each other why things were done in a certain way,
> instead
> of getting things actually done.

That's fine.  I agree it is good to have this in the draft to remind us why we made the choices we did.  I just wanted some assurance that the final version, which is supposed to be application neutral, would not have a large number of references (even non-normative ones) to specific applications.  If only we had full meta data support today!  That would solve this wonderfully.  Using style templates as you mention would work as well.

-Rob