Subject: Re: [office-formula] Our next adventure: Types and conversions

Hi Richard,

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 00:11:47 +0100, Richard Kernick wrote:

>    MUST save with explicit conversions. So
>    file format has =VALUEL("3.5"; "GB")+3 and the UI can display to the user
>    ="3.5"+3, because it does A. Another implementation may display
>    =VALUE("3.5")+3, because it doesn't. But they must save back to
>    =VALUEL("3.5"; "GB")+3.

Nice approach, though I think such automatisms sooner or later fail. It
already fails when a document was created in a CJK locale using
fullwidth digits, and the application loading it doesn't support
transliteration from fullwidth to halfwidth/ascii.

of spreadsheets.  --Robert Weir on the OpenDocument formula subcommitee's list.