Subject: Re: [office-formula] Grouping functions and capabilities

I guess I'm not convinced that classifying the functions, by whatever means, changes anything.  As a user, if I want to use a FOO() in my spreadsheet and it isn't there, then the fact that the spreadsheet was rated "Level 1" is little comfort.  I don't have my FOO() and I want FOO().  Ditto for if I do save my spreadsheet from an editor that has this function but then it is loaded my someone who doesn't have it.  We can gracefully degrade in the absence of 3D charts, or if we lack a certain cell border style, or advanced format.  But there is no way to degrade if you don't have FOO().  I think this naturally leads to most large spreadsheets having all the functions people every use, and users tread carefully when they use anything less than that.

Analogies to other technologies which are subsetted will only take you so far.  JDBC levels, embeddable C, etc., are all used by techies who are expected to be intimate with the various profiles and capabilities of their tools.  But the end user using the spreadsheet is blissfully unaware of all of this.  They've used FOO() since 1990 in Excel, and they want to use FOO() now.

That said, perhaps there is something useful that can be done to help the editors better detect and notify users when they receive a document which uses a function they do not know about.  Especially since there are not really options for degrading gracefully.

In any case, I'd recommend that we work on getting out a draft of the full specification and take care of profiles later.  I'm more worried about diverging implementations of the same spreadsheet functions than how we handle interoperability among partial implementations.  Let's get something out now that at least handles interop for the full implementations.  We can always add profiles later.  I wouldn't hold up the stuff we agree on for lack of consensus in this area.  We can do this incrementally.

-Rob

"David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 07/11/2006 01:17:58 PM:

.

.