Subject: Re: [office-formula] A few miscellania

On 7/14/06, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:
> Okay, here are some odd things:
> * On all spreadsheets I've tried, AND() and OR() do NOT short-circuit.
>    Should we PERMIT short-circuiting (implementation-defined), or FORBID it?
>    We could define ANDSC() and ORSC() for short-circuiting operations, I supposed,
>    but I hate to do that.

Hmm, the way formulas work in KSpread, short-circuiting would be
impossible to implement without some ugly hack. I guess it's the same
with other implementations. Plus, it's not like you ever need it, is
it ? Logicval formulas in spreadsheets usually don't have side-effects
which would make this necessary.

> * I plan to require handling one-arg AND() and OR(), as they're cheap "convert to logical"
>    functions, but say that zero-arg AND() and OR() can be Error or Logical
>    (most, maybe all spreadsheets produce an Error on zero-parameters)

Sure, why not. Not really necessary, but it may come in handy.

> * I plan to change LOG() so that the second parameter is optional (default=10);

No problem with me.

/ Tomas