Subject: Re: [office-formula] Proposal: Identifying nonstandard functions

I don't think we want to get into the registrar business.  A vendor can figure out how to create a unique function name if they want to create such an extension, whether 123.DAYS, or 123_DAYS, or whatever.  If we want to recommend a mechanism, then that's fine.  But creating a registry is overkill.  As you said, the number of applications is relatively small.

I look to XPath as a good implementation example here.  They allow custom functions, and allow them to be namespaced.  But over the years I have not heard of problems caused by vendors colliding in names.

-Rob