Subject: Re: [office-formula] Syntax loose ends: inline error names,explicit scoping for named expressions (sheet-local/global)

On Fri, 2006-28-07 at 13:22 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> 2. Sheet-specific vs. global named expressions.  Some applications have
> "sheet-specific" named expressions, that aren't the same as a named expression
> globally applicable (Excel and Gnumeric at least do this).
> Should we have a syntax to explicitly reference one or the other?

(For obvious reasons) I like the Gnumeric version:

Sheet1.print_area   refers to the named expression in sheet scope of
Sheet1 if there is such an expression defined otherwise it refers to the
expression in workbook scope.
.print_area simply replaces Sheet1 with the local sheet.

I guess we don't have a way to directly access the global scope name if
it is hidden by a local one. That must have never come up as an issue.

> This is particularly an issue when referencing external sheets.
> I'd particularly like to hear from the app implementors who implement
> this separation (I'm not sure if OpenDocument supports this; if not, we'll
> need to address this scoping issue there too).

OpenDocument does not have a mechanism to define sheet (table) specific
names. That will need to be added I think.

Andreas