Subject: Re: [office-formula] Syntax loose ends: inline error names,

Andreas J Guelzow:
> (For obvious reasons) I like the Gnumeric version:
> Sheet1.print_area   refers to the named expression in sheet scope of
> Sheet1 if there is such an expression defined otherwise it refers to the
> expression in workbook scope.
> .print_area simply replaces Sheet1 with the local sheet.
> I guess we don't have a way to directly access the global scope name if
> it is hidden by a local one. That must have never come up as an issue.

A user could work around that by creating some empty sheet
(call it "Global") with no names.

In general, I think you want the local ones to always override
the globals.  Many programming languages provide no
mechanism to reference the "global" variable if it's hidden by local scope,
so I think a special syntax for that (odd) case is not necessary.
Especially since there's a workaround for the one person who needs it.