Subject: Re: [office-formula] Syntax issues

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 22:23:42 -0600, Andreas J Guelzow wrote:

> Imagine we have a hundert sheets S00 to S99 we have a global name
> Data_Base that gives the default database on each sheet: let's say
> [.A1:.Z26]
>
> On some sheets (S07, S17 and S27) the database range is different so I
> have sheet-local names Data_Base on those 3 sheets that define some
> other regions.
>
> This is nice because I was able to duplicate the sheets originally since
> all the calculations are the same. On each of those sheets of course I
> refer to each used database just by the name Data_Base.

Well, _hopefully_ the user remembers after all these duplications of
sheets that some of them are different..

> Now I have an overview sheet OView on which I want to collect some
> general statistics on all databases. It is nice to be able to refer to
> 'S01'.$$Data_Base to 'S99'.$$Data_Base, knowing that 'S01'.$$Data_Base
> is really 'S01'.A1:.Z26, 'S02'.$$Data_Base is really 'S02'.A1:.Z26 but
> 'S07'.$$Data_Base refers to that other region on sheet S07.
>
> I hope this is clearer.

Yes, much clearer. This seems to be the only usage scenario where the
fallback to a global name actually could make sense. I think all other
situations just would add to the user's confusion. Imagine the deletion
of a sheet-local name where also a global name exists: suddenly all
calculation changes.

Btw, does Gnumeric implement that? It doesn't seem to in v1.4.3 that
I have on Debian/sarge, at least I wasn't able to define a global name
without sheet name, nor two identical names, one global and one local,
and a local name is not copied when duplicating a sheet.

Anyway, to me a reference Sheet1.$$Name2 should imply that when there is
no sheet-local name Name2 defined for sheet Sheet1 it is an error.