Subject: Re: [office-formula] Syntax issues

Eike Rathke wrote:
> Anyway, to me a reference Sheet1.$$Name2 should imply that when there is
> no sheet-local name Name2 defined for sheet Sheet1 it is an error.

We could PERMIT that as an implementation-defined behavior.
But if the typical semantics are to "look at global, if no local",
then I think we ought to permit or require it.

"Look at local, then global" doesn't look too bad to me.
If you think of this as a lookup,
lots of languages have similar mechanisms where the prefix simply
describes "where to start looking", and the search continues towards
increasingly global scopes.  Class method/attribute lookups
typically work this way, for example.