Subject: Re: [office-formula] A-functions

On 9/7/06, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:
> In the specific case of in-line vs. in-a-range, there are actually
> rational reasons for how SUM() etc. typically work.
> If something is DIRECTLY listed as a parameter in a SUM list,
> then it's reasonable to think
> that the user expected it to be added directly.  But if it's a range,
> the usual notion is to "only consider the numbers in the range".

Hmm, for KOffice at least, the functions don't know whether the
parameter that they are getting is coming from inline value or from a
reference, hence, we wouldn't be able to adhere to this. Guess it's
similar for many others.

And to me, it doesn't make much sense either, and only adds to
confusion. Why would a function behave differently just because it
received exactly the SAME data using a different mechanism ? To me,
this just sounds like someone started with some buggy concept, and
everyone grew used to it.

Besides, the difference only really matters for inline text values, as
that's the only scenario where different results are produced. Why
would the book advise the users to put in numbers as strings ?

Or am I again missing something obvious ?

/ Tomas