Subject: Re: [office-formula] A-functions

On 9/7/06, Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote:
>> Not exactly. The non-A-versions taking NumberSequences always ignore
>> non-inline text, it is not converted to 0 as may be seen with the
>> AVERAGE function, while inline-text produces an error. The A-versions
>> convert any text to 0, whether inline or non-inline.

Not in Excel 2003.  AVERAGEA(A1:A2) considers any text to be 0, but
AVEAGEA(2,"4") reports 3.

So AVERAGEA takes a "list of NumberSequenceSpecial",
where in Excel the rules for NumberSequenceSpecial are:
 * If a Range, any number included, any text considered 0,
    any logical converted to a number 0 or 1 (false/true).
    Blanks are probably ignored;  didn't check.
  * If inline text, converted to number.

So in Excel if A1=2, A2="4",
AVERAGEA(A1:A2) is 1, while
AVERAGEA(2,"4") is 3.

I think some implementation-defined stuff is coming :-).