Subject: Re: [office-formula] Who's doing what this week, Redux (including a requestto Stefan Nikolas)

I'm thinking of the default case, with no holidays and no user-defined workweek.

In Excel today, NETWORKDAYS(TODAY(),NOW())  is always going to be 1.0.  If we allow fractional days in the calculation, then this function will give a different answer depending on the time of day, right?  That is my hesitancy.  I don't mind adding a new feature, if the function works the same as it did before in the case where you don't use the new feature.  But if we want to redefine the default behavior, we'd probably want to give it a different name.

-Rob

Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com>
Sent by: Eike.Rathke@sun.com

02/14/2007 06:41 PM

office-formula@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [office-formula] Who's doing what this week, Redux (including a request to Stefan Nikolas)

Hi Robert,

On Wednesday, 2007-02-14 14:14:08 -0500, Robert Weir wrote:

> The existing function deals with whole days. Excel explicitly defines it
> that way.  Even if you give it a date serial number that is noon one day
> to 5pm another day, it will not return a fractional number of workdays.
>
> I'm not suggesting we expand it to include such a feature.

If we enhance the function such that Excel can't calculate it anyway,
why not add fractional workdays if those fractions are given in a new
optional parameter array? This functions is used to calculate a deadline
or similar dates, so including/excluding fractional days seems a valid
approach to me. But as said previously, maybe just overkill.

of spreadsheets.  --Robert Weir on the OpenDocument formula subcommittee's list.