Subject: Re: [office-formula] Re: OASIS: Infix Operator "^"

On Thu, 2007-22-02 at 15:59 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:

> I'm very familiar with these traditional mathematical interpretations.
> Indeed, early version s of this document had the reverse association,
> which was later perceived as a mistake and fixed.  The format we're
> defining is primarily for spreadsheets; silently changing precedence
> rules is dangerous and potentially deadly.
>
> Spreadsheet applications generally agree that "=-2^2" computes as 4,
> and that "=2^3^4" is 4096.  Certainly both OpenOffice.org and Excel
> agree on that, and if I recall correctly, many other spreadsheet
> applications do as well.

I would like to point out that Gnumeric does calculate =2^3^4 as
2.41785163922926E+24. So "generally agree" is not quite correct.

Also the note that Gnumeric calculates -2^2 as 4 is not quite correct.
If you type in the character sequence  - 2 ^ 2 the formula is changed to
(-2)^2 to clarify precedence to the user. So you can't ever enter -2^2.

> Applications can show a different representation in their user interface if they want to, but in general we've tried to use a syntactic representation that is consistent with typical user interfaces.
>

> > And inventing a syntax that break what historically has been done in the
> > field (in this case in spreadsheets) isn't good for a standard either.
>
> That's my view as well.  Where we CAN make changes to make the syntax
> more consistent with other conventions or standards, without silently
> making dangerous changes, we should do so.  But these precedence rules
> probably go all the way back to VisiCalc, and are nearly universally
> agreed-upon.

I think "nearly universally agreed-upon" is an overstatement. Excel and
OpenOffice agree, Gnumeric disagrees.

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta