Subject: Re: [office-formula] MIN/MAX/MINA/MAXA and no value, zero?

Hi David,

On Monday, 2007-03-05 12:31:12 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:

> Since most implementation return 0, I don't think they should be REQUIRED to produce an error.  I don't see the value to implementors in modifying the apps to detect this odd case, especially since 0 is such a widely-held view.
>
> I think we should either (a) define as 0, as now, or (b) make this implementation-defined, stating that apps MUST produce EITHER 0 or Error in this case.  I'd be fine with (b).

It seems people actually rely on the behavior that MIN/MAX return 0 if
no value. I just wonder if there is any mathematical justification for
that. If there is, fine. If it contradicts, we should change it. I'd not
suggest to make this implementation-defined, if all agree that returning
0 is the thing to do anyway, which Kspread, Gnumeric and Excel do, then
OOo may as well follow.