Subject: HYPERLINK definition (was: Looking for HYPERLINK volunteers)

Hi Robert,

On Monday, 2007-03-05 14:03:41 -0500, Robert Weir wrote:

> Maybe just define it without any side-effects.  So, HYPERLINK() takes a
> string parameter and returns that same parameter.  If an optional second
> parameter "friendly name" is provided, it returns that string instead.
> Then mark the entire function as deprecated.

I don't think that's sufficient. The function actually may be useful,
though due to its weird behavior it's broken by design. However, since
it was introduced by Excel people rely on the brokenness. We should
fully specify it.

> A function that changes for formatting of the current cell contents is
> just weird.

It's not just about formatting, it is the clickable hyperlink
functionality it is used for.

> I don't think we want to require this of any implementation.
> But if we simply define it as above it will be compatible with Excel and
> anyone is free to add additional behaviors if they want.

Which would be undefined then. IMHO not a good idea.