Subject: Re: [office-comment] Re: Unit system tracking

We discussed adding units of measure at today's OpenDocument teleconference.  Certainly, automated tracking/conversion of units of measure can be very valuable.

But I think most people view this capability as out-of-scope for this round.  The formula charter specifically says in point 6: "It must be friendly to conversions from and to existing office application spreadsheet formula languages."  Trying to add full automated conversions is a MAJOR change that would permeate any formula language.  Even +,-,*,/, and ^ would have to be modified to track units, and every value would now be a tuple of (value, units).