Subject: Re: [office-formula] Considering IFERROR function: Add IFNA and IFERROR

Hi David,

On Sunday, 2007-06-10 20:23:25 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:

> Actually, how about IFERROR and a new function, IFNA?
>
> Semantics of IFNA(expr, NAvalue) is
> IF(ISNA(expr);expr;NAvalue) except expr is evaluated only once.

I like the idea behind IFNA additionally to IFERROR to distinguish this
case. In the current state of the spec only LOOKUP, VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
are defined to return NA() though if the lookup value isn't found. What
other functions would we need to define to return NA() on some
condition? What does ECMA/MOOXML do (besides that it doesn't define
IFNA)?

David already mentioned FIND, SEARCH comes to my mind.

> Note that given IFERROR and IFNA, I think IFEQ is less-needed, and we
> certainly don't need an IFEQ that has the weird special casing
> I suggested earlier.

I think IFEQ would be only confusing..