Subject: Date counting conventions in OOXML

Ecma, as part of the OOXML process in JTC1, has recently proposed some additional language for their spreadsheet formula description in the area of date counting conventions for financial functions.  We should compare this to what we have in OpenFormula and see whether we can harmonize our definitions.

Note that this is not necessarily the final word from JTC1, but it is the fullest description we have from them so far.

Does anyone have a good idea what the statement, "If the date is 28 or 29 February, it is adjusted to 30 February" means?  Once you break outside of the Gregorian calendar and introduce fictitious dates like 30 February, you really need to specify their semantics.  For example, is 30 February an alias for 1 March or 2 March?  Or is it an new intercalary date interposed between 29 February and 1 March?

-Rob

--------------------------

(0) US (NASD) 30/360 --

Assumes that each month has 30 days and the total number of days in the year is 360 by making the following adjustments:

 - If the date is 28 or 29 February, it is adjusted to 30 February.
 - For months with 31 days, if the first date has a day value of 31, the date is converted to day 30. If the second date has a day value of 31, it is changed to 30 days as long as the first date was not 28 or 29 February, in which case it does not change.

(1) Actual/actual --

The actual number of days between the two dates are counted. If the date range includes the date 29 February, the year is 366 days; otherwise it is 365 days.

(2) Actual/360 --

Similar to Basis 1, but only has 360 days per year.

(3) Actual/365 --

Similar to Basis 1, but always has 365 days per year.

(4) European 30/360 --

The European method for adjusting day counts. Assumes that each month has 30 days and the total number of days in the year is 360 by making the following adjustments:

- If the date is 28 or 29 February, it is adjusted to 30 February.
- For months with 31 days, all dates with a day value of 31 are changed to day 30, including 28 and 29 February.