Subject: Re: [office-formula] MATCH function

Hi Robert,

On Friday, 2008-01-18 11:29:29 -0500, Robert Weir wrote:

> I checked the OOXML specification -- it does not define the behavior in
> the presence of duplicate entries.
>
> So if the apparent behavior of Excel appears reasonable, I agree with
> documenting that.

It is probably related to what functions like [HV]LOOKUP do when used on
a sorted range, e.g. the last element <= query is picked if sorted
ascending.

/me notes that we did not document that but mention that in case there
would be more than one consecutive match, the result returned would be
arbitarily picked out of those, but that isn't true. The last match is
returned. At least that's what I found out when implementing these
functions, and it somewhat makes sense. I'll add details to the spec for
[HV]LOOKUP as well.

Of course ECMA/MOOXML didn't document it either.

PGP signature