Subject: Re: [office-formula] Add FFT() to formula spec?

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 13:52 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Hi - We've received a proposal to add a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) function to the OpenFormula spec.  The proposal itself is from Steven G. Johnson; Rob Weir wrote a public reply to it.
>
> What does everyone think?  Pro? Con? Don't care?  I don't think this should be required for small or medium; heck, it doesn't even need to be included in a group at all.  Details below.
>
> Arguments for it: Excel has an FFT in a data pack; FFT is common in engineering.  By spec'ing it, we increase portability in this area.
> Arguments against it: Many spreadsheets don't have it, or have it as a standalone function; most spreadsheet users don't know or care what it is.  Implementations can add their own functions like FFT, they don't need OpenFormula's permission to do so.
>
> In college I wrote a paper comparing parallel FFT implementations, and like most electronics engineers I've used FFTs.  So I'm quite aware that FFTs have many users.  I'm inclined to say "yes, if the proposer writes the initial spec, and isn't required for small or medium".  But I'd like to hear what others think.
>
> --- David A. Wheeler

I had the impression that in the past we never even entertained
suggestions for functions (or extension to functions) that weren't
implemented by at least one program that supported ODF.

So I think the more important question is whether in future we will
consider any proposal to add functions to OpenFormula even if they are
not implemented by any existing ODF supporting program.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta