Subject: Re: [office-formula] period

Andreas,

Andreas J Guelzow wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 20:38 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>> Sorry if that was obscure. My question was the absence of a single
>> definition of "period" to mean "time period" unless further defined for
>> a particular function.
>>
>> Is that clearer?
>>

> Yes this is much clearer.
>
> But I don't think it is a good idea: I cannot imagine any (financial)
> function in which the definition of "period" as "time period" would be
> sufficient. So I think that if we have any function in which we fail to
> define that argument we should fix those definitions. Typically there
> are several time periods associated with any situation that a general
> definitions would not suffice.

OK, I'll buy that. But that means that the general term "period" should
be defined as a "time period" plus whatever specialization is required
for a particular function.

In other words, I agree with you that "time period" is insufficient but
that means that definitions such as "period The period of interest" are
fatally defective.

It should be: "the time period of interest" (assuming interest is
defined elsewhere).

I am creating a list of definitions that use the same term, such a
"period" on both sides of the definition. That is what drew my attention
to it initially. Defining a term using the term is, err, problematic.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)