Subject: row-wise order of evaluation (was: [office-formula] Groups -OpenDocument Formula Specification 2008-10-10 (ODT)(OpenDocument-formula-20081010.odt) uploaded)

Hi Andreas,

On Friday, 2008-10-10 15:55:41 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> > NPV: order of evaluation matters.
>
> Could you elaborate on "Because the result is affected by the order of
> values, applications shall evaluate arguments in the order given and
> range reference and array arguments row-wise starting from top left."

The term  (values[i] / (1+Rate)^i)  delivers a position-dependent
result.

> In any case, it seems to be strange to require "row-wise" use of the
> arrays.

That's what Excel apparently does, so for compatibility we should
require it. I also find it odd, because the "usual" direction to process
data in spreadsheets is column-wise.

Maybe someone has some more insights whether in Excel the order of
evaluation might even follow some different rules..

PGP signature