Subject: Re: [office-formula] Urgent: external named expressions

Eike:
> I think that it would be much better to treat external and sheet-local
> named expressions similar to references by enclosing them in a pair of
> square brackets. For one, they _are_ references, as they refer to
> another sheet or document. Second, it would be easier to parse as the
> square brackets clearly delimit the expression, and it may even fit into
> already existing reference parsers.

I have no objection in principle.  As you note, they ARE references,
so it's quite arguable that it's cleaner to do so.

An LL(1) grammar will have to be careful, since after [
and a single quoted identifier they'll have to look at the next non-whitespace
to figure out what it is (# or .).  But that's quite doable while staying
LL(1), and you have to do that with the current grammar too.

I would suggest a note to implementations that they should consider
implementing the older format (without [...]) so that they can read old
versions, until the transition is complete.

Any objections?