Subject: Re: [office-formula] 3-d references

Hi,

I do not have any easy access to any version of MS Excel so I can't try
it out.

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 19:12 +0100, Eike Rathke wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2008-11-26 10:37:38 -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
>
> > > Same with Calc. I think we don't mention it explicitly at other places,
> > > but   6.3.10 Infix Operator Reference Range (":")   says

> > > A cube to my understanding does include all atoms in between corners,
> > > sides and edges ;-)
> > >

> > While this may be what "cube" means it seems to me that the shape of the
> > space matters:
> >
> > In this context most users will likely think of the sheets as layers and
> > so "cube" appears to mean (to me at least):
> >
> > for 'Sheet1'.B4:'Sheet3'.C5 with Sheet2 located between Sheet1 and
> > Sheet3:
> >
> > the union of the ranges B4:C5 on all sheets, ie. a total of
> > 3 times 2 times 2 = 12 cells,
> > (3 sheets, 2 rows, 2 columns)
>
> Well, yes, exactly.
>
> > I think interpreting this to be ranges B4:C5 on Sheets 1 and 3 but all
> > of sheet 2 does _not_ fit into the normal understanding of "cube".
>
> Why all of sheet 2? 'Sheet1'.B4:'Sheet3'.C5 says cube from top left
> front 'Sheet1'.B4 to bottom right back 'Sheet3'.C5, which in this case
> encompasses 'Sheet2'.B4:C5, but nothing else of sheet 2. Do we have some
> misunderstanding here?

That's what I understood from Erics message as of 25 Nov 2008 05:16:43
-0000 (Mon, 22:16 MST):

> Excel, for example will sum the cells in the specified workbooks AND
> all cells in sheets that are positioned between the 2 sheets.

Note the "all cells" part. In his next message he reiterates that this
is different from the 'Sheet1'.B4:'Sheet3'.C5 version.

It could easily be that I misunderstood but I thought it clear that he
said there are 2 types of 3d references involved.

Andreas