Subject: RE: [office-formula] 3-d references

Hi Eike,

How do we proceed with adding text that describes how sheets positioned between the referenced sheets are handled?  Should I submit a proposal?

While a reference of the type [Sheet1.A1:B5]:[Sheet2.B1:C5] seems to be "valid", are the expected results defined?  It's unclear how a 3D reference with different ranges or "sides of the cube" should be calculated.

Regards,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Eike Rathke [mailto:erack@sun.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 5:28 AM
To: office-formula@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Eric,

Btw, it is not necessary to send copies to my personal account, I do read the list. The copies just clutter up my inbox. Thanks.

Btw2, somehow your mailer setup is broken, your mail to the list looks like it used format=flowed but that is not declared in the header, so text is interspersed with spurious '= ' and '=3D'. The mail to my personal account does not suffer from that and thus was more legible, and even includes your name in the From header.

On Monday, 2008-12-01 05:42:34 +0000, ericpa@microsoft.com wrote:

> 1.  Based on my reading of the OpenFormula Draft, it appears that
> =3DSUM(['=
> Sheet1'.A1:'Sheet2'.B5]) is equivalent to the Excel syntax of =3DSUM(Sheet1= :Sheet2!A1:B5).  Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. Without the '3D' in 'SUM' and without '= ' of course ;-) So, =SUM(['Sheet1'.A1:'Sheet2'.B5]) is equivalent to Excel =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet2!A1:B5)

> 2.  The OpenFormula Draft does not explicitly say whether sheets positioned=  in the workbook between the identified sheets are included or not.  Can th= is be clarified?

We can explicitly state that. I think it should go into
"5.8 References", other opinions?

> 3.  Are references of the following form valid?:
> [Sheet1.A1:B5:Sheet2.B1:C5= ]

No, [Sheet1.A1:B5:Sheet2.B1:C5] is not valid. References can contain at most one ':' operator, see "5.8 References". The expression would had to be written as [Sheet1.A1:B5]:[Sheet2.B1:C5]