Subject: Re: [office-formula] "international" characters?

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> It might be useful (and simpler) to define this entirely within the value
> space and not say anything about how the characters are displayed.  In the
> value space we don't say anything about the encoding.

+1 on not getting into display
> In fact, OpenFormula should be equally valid for describing an expression
> language executed on a terminal-less server which has electrodes hooked up
> to a horse that taps its hoof to indicate the correct answer.

I like the horse example but fear my concern was much more commonplace
than counting horses.

It seemed to me that there were multiple value spaces in play for
"characters" and if so, I was voicing a preference for just one.
> I don't know if it is too late to get this in, but I've been thinking of
> the idea of defining OpenFormula on the basis of operations on an abstract
> machine.  The details wouldn't change, but we'd have a section that
> formally defines the capabilities of the abstract machine: can read a
> string Unicode characters, parse the formula, has certain range of
> arithmetic and logical operations that it can perform, etc.  Each function
> would then be a statement about how the abstract machine processes input
> and produces output.  But we can operate purely in the value space for
> that.

Well, that sounds interesting but wouldn't creating detailed conformance
requirements achieve the same end?

That is to say that some value space (probably several value spaces)
could be segmented and conformance defined in terms of both one or more
portions of value spaces as well as functions, expressions, etc.?

The new since ODF 1.1 conformance requirements at OASIS do seem to lend
themselves to having fairly detailed conformance clauses.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick