Subject: 3.2 Non-Scalar Evaluation

Greetings!

Several questions:

1) I assume that the examples in 1.1 (under 3.2) are supposed to be
consistent with ABS as defined at 6.15.1? ABS (Number N)

Well, but as far as I remember, array, column vector and matrix are not
"Number."

2) That analysis obtains for the defining of results for the application
of ABS to references using row-vectors and column-vectors. Yes?

3) Matrix evaluation (2 under 3.2): I assume that "display position"
must be a term of art as it only occurs here in the draft. Can someone
venture a definition?

4) We seem to be defining a format for storing non-scalar results in a
matrix? Is that really necessary? Isn't addressing into a matrix well
defined?

BTW, I suspect the references to rules a - d mean 2.1.1 - 2.1.4.

5) Can someone venture the reasons for 2.2 "Calculations with non-scalar
inputs"?

It seems to me this is either repeating something that should be said
for matrix functions generally or it is an attempt to describe what
happens when a function that doesn't accept matrix input is passed a
matrix.

If the former it seems mis-placed. If the latter, why?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)