Subject: RE: [office-formula] Implementation-defined, Unspecified, and Undefinedbehaviors in OpenFormula

The language on precision is:

"This specification does not, by itself, specify a numerical
implementation model, though it does imply some minimal levels of accuracy
for most functions. For example, an application cannot say that it
implements the infix operator ?/? as specified in this document if it
implements integer-only arithmetic.

In practice, applications tend to use at least one IEEE 754-1985 binary
floating-point representation, using at least the 64-bit representation
and possibly larger widths for intermediate results. When IEEE 754
representations are used, results such as Inf (infinity) and Nan (not a
number) are considered an Error value. Applications may use IEEE 854-1987
(which covers decimal arithmetic). In general, applications are encouraged
to use appropriate standards for their numerical models. This means that
applications will often not produce ?exact? results, but only approximate
results for a large number of places."

I think I would call this "implementation-defined" and we probably want to
say that explicitly in cases like this. We might also wanb to rephrase
this from a statement about the specification, "the specification does
not...", to a statement about the implementation, e..g, "The numerical
implementation model used by a conforming OpenFormula expression evaluator
is implementation-defined", or something similar.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 06/12/2009
01:52:18 AM: