Subject: Mathematical formulas - general

Greetings!

OK, the intro text reads:

> This section describes functions for various mathematical functions,
> including trigonometric functions like SIN <file:///SIN>). Note that
> the constraint text presumes that a value of type Number is a real
> number (no imaginary component). Unless noted otherwise, all angle
> measurements are in radians.

Err, what "the constraint text presumes that a value of type Number is a
real number (no imaginary component)."?

Ah, after taking a break, does this mean that N in the "constraints"
text of each function is supposed to be of type Number and a real number?

Err, ok, so what happens with ABS? "Constraints: None." Does that mean I
can apply ABS to a complex number? (it is defined but I suspect we mean
to exclude that and other definitions for absolute value).

Ouch. If true, two possible JIRA issues to file:

1) Explicitly state that all functions in mathematical functions accept
N of type Number and real number. (Or do we define real number or a
source where we can simply cite it?)

2) Once that is corrected, do we need to do anything about an
unconstrained ABS function?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34