Subject: Re: [office-formula] euroconvert

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 12/02/2009 05:26:49 AM:
>
>> I assume:
>>

>>> Converts a number from one to another Euro currency.
>>>

>> Should read:
>>
>> Converts amounts of defined currencies to and from Euro currency.
>>

> Converts a Number, representing a value in one European currency, to an
> equivalent value in another European currency, according to the fixed
> conversion rates defined by the Council of the European Union.

Ah, ok, I was reading "Euro"  as the name of a currency. Silly me.

;-)
>> (Questions for Europeans on the list: Is "Euro currency" the correct way
>>

>> to refer to Euros as a monetary system? Is the conversion fixed and
>> where is it defined? We simply say the conversion rate here.
>>

> No idea.  Since the function can be used to convert between two legacy
> national currencies, not even involving the Euro explicitly, I don't know
> if we really need to mention the Euro here.

So this is a legacy function only?
> As for where these are defined, they are defined by various EC directives.
>  The big initial introduction of the Euro in 1999 defined most of the
> conversion rates, but then there are later introductions, such as Greece,
> Malta, Slovenia, etc., and these each had their rates set by their own
> individual directives.
>
> This page at the European Central Bank is certainly authoratative, and we
> should double-check our conversion factors against it:
>
> http://www.ecb.int/euro/intro/html/index.en.html
>
> However, I would not vouch for the long-term stability of that URL.  It
> could move tomorrow.  So it is probably best to include our own table of
> values and refer to the authority generally as "Council of the European
> Union".

Wasn't suggesting that we cite the URL.

If this is *fixed* as you suggest, then replication of the table is fine
with a citation to the authority.

My concern was that if this wasn't stable, that it reflected conversion
to and from Euro currency, then replication of a table might not be a
good idea.

Understanding it as a legacy function changes the wording of the text.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick