Subject: Re: [office-formula] On "portability"

Michael,

OK, that helps.

So in one view, the "portable" document comments are simply helpful
observations for implementers/users and don't have an impact on the
conformance clauses.

Such observations could be gathered up in a non-normative annex. That
would simplify the text in a number of cases.

I don't think that answers the observation certain assumptions have to
be made about an environment by definitions in OpenFormula.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: The reason I was suggesting that "portable" be the standard is that
I consider one of the purposes of standards is to make
documents/formulas interchangeable. Allowing extension as well as
various ways to conform diminish the ability to achieve that goal. All
standards do allow both extension as well as different ways to conform
but the question is where to draw the line.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)