Subject: infix operator "<>"

Greetings!

Under Semantics we say:

> Returns NOT(Left = Right) if Left and Right are not Error. Note that
> for Text values, if the calculation setting |table:case-sensitive| is
> |false|, text is compared but characters differencing only in case are
> considered equal.

But that's not right. Returns a logical, true/false. Yes?

We further say:

> Note that if either Left and Right are an error, the result is an
> error; this operator cannot be used to determine if two errors are the
> same kind of error.
>
> Note that in some user interfaces, this is displayed (or accepted) as
> “!=” or “≠”.

OK, let's not repeat the error comparison mantra, which should be
defined elsewhere as well as the text comparison text.

I am assuming that the final paragraph is a true non-normative note and
am marking it as such. "In some user interfaces the infix operator "<>"
may be displayed as "!=" or “≠”.

Raises the issue of what role does the "semantics" section play? Does it
simply repeat what as already been said under summary? Or is it a place
for general observations that should more properly be notes?

BTW, should I be creating JIRA issues for these comments?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)