Subject: Re: [office-formula] BITAND

Hi,

I think Dennis concern is simply the use of the term "implementation"
here. The SC has agreed to have the conformance targets "expression" and
"evaluator". It therefore may be better to just say

"An evaluator *shall* support parameters of at least 48 bits."

While one may of cause replace this occurrence of "implementation" as
well as all others with "evaluator", I anyway think that in this
situation, it is very clear that an "implementation" here means an
"evaluator". That's because the only other conformance target we have is
"expression". An "expression" is not an implementation.

So, I personally think it would be reasonable to replace
"implementation" with "evaluator" if that is the name of the conformance
target the SC has agreed to, but I would not go so far to say that it is
an error if the specification uses the term "implementation", too.

Best regards

Michael

Am 10.12.09 20:16, Andreas J Guelzow schrieb:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 11:04 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> (In this regard, I
>> emphatically disagree with the PS in the note from Andreas, and I believe
>> the OASIS conformance guidelines are also in conflict with that PS.)
>
> Dennis,
> could you explain to me what you see as the difference between the
> following two statements (in the context of the OpenFormula
> specification):
>
> 1) To comply with this specification, an implementation *shall* support
> parameters of at least 48 bits.
>
> 2) An implementation *shall* support parameters of at least 48 bits.
>
> Andreas

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten