Subject: Re: [office-formula] General question (not yet a JIRA issue)

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 09:17 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> When looking at TYPE I read:
>
> > Portable documents *shall not* depend on receiving a value of 4.
> >
> Since TYPE returns a number indicating a value type, I am not real sure
> what it means to "not depend on receiving a value of 4." ???
>
> BTW, 4 is logical.
>
> So a portable document could accept some other number for logical type?
> Or doesn't recognize logical type? Or if it does, then it isn't a
> portable document?

4.4:
Logical values may be implemented as a distinct, distinguishable type
from numbers, so that ISNUMBER(TRUE()) and ISLOGICAL(1) evaluates to
FALSE(). However, logical values may also be implemented as a subtype of
Number, where TRUE() simply returns 1 and FALSE() simply returns 0. Note
that due to the implicit conversion operator ´Number to
Logical¡ (discussed below), when a number is passed as a condition, 0 is
considered False and all other numeric values are considered True.

So there may not be a Logical type. For example OOo does not implement a
LOGICAL type.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca>