Subject: Re: [office-formula] Synonym?

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 15:33 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Eric Patterson wrote:
> > The motivation for including the synonym functions is to provide a mechanism to persist the spreadsheet model in the way that the user created it.  If someone create a formula with the FISHER function, Saved, closed and re-opened the file only to have it replaced by ATANH, it would cause confusion.  For that reason, I think that we need to include all of the synonym functions.
> >

> Oh, I have no problem with *including* the synonym functions, that is to
> say a function has two different names and part of its definition says
> that the name used for a function by a user shall be persisted until
> changed by the user.

Eric didn't misunderstand my message. I do have a problem with including
these synonym functions since they are completely useless and (in my
opinion) misleading. Of course this includes that users shouldn't really
have an option to use those functions in the interface in the first
place.

Of course defining these synonyms isn't quite as ridiculous as to define
a function called "B".

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA