Subject: Re: [office-formula] Portability and conformance

Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:

<snip>
>> You mean that in order to support the portability of a certain class of
>> expressions, evaluators are constrained to support a minimal set of
>> values.
>>

> Yes, though instead of "constrained to support a minimal set" I'd say
> "required to support a minimal set", I might be wrong but to me
> constrained sounds like restricted.

Oh, sure, sorry, I wasn't casting it into formal standards language.

We would say something like:

Evaluators that conform to level X shall:

1) Support bit values up to 48 bits.

If they don't meet that requirement, they don't conform to OpenFormula,
or at least that level.

That leaves open the possibility that an application could support more
than 48 bits since we don't prohibit supporting a larger value.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)