Subject: Re: [office-formula] "settlement The settlement date."

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 15:47 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Even assuming (perhaps incorrectly) a uniform semantic:
>
> "settlement The settlement date."
>
> is meaningless.

This is not quite as meaningless as it might seem. The first word is the
character string that is used in the syntax (and hopefully the
mathematical formula.) The last 3 words are the explanation.

It probably wouldn't look as strange if it were:
"arg3   The settlement date."

As long as we have a formula describing how the return value is being
calculated from the arguments saying
 "arg3   The settlement date."
is just an indicator what is the purpose of that argument.

> Standards are about *defining* semantics, for good or ill.
>
> Perhaps, "... to boldly define where no one has dared to define
> before....." ;-)
>
> Suggestions for a definition?

We need a formula. A definition of "settlement" is really useless (if at
all possible.)

For example we surely do not need a definition of "DegreesOfFreedom" (It
is simply the name usually used for a certain parameter in the formula
for various distribution. It does not have a meaning even if many stats
books try to "explain" what it is.)

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca>