Subject: Re: [office-formula] MIRR

Andreas,

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> I'll pick this one but the same applies to most other comments of this
> type:
>
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 11:07 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> MIRR lacks parameters, at least as we define them for other functions.
>>

> In my copy, parameters are specified:
> MIRR( Array Values ; Number Investment ; Number ReinvestRate )
>
> Stating that "Values" are a bunch of values, "Investment" is the
> investment rate and blablabla doesn't mean anything and doesn't define
> anything either.
>
> This function is defined by given a specific formula (with the little
> problem that the lower case n and upper case N should be the same). I
> would hope that all function definitions/descriptions would look like
> the current 5.12.28 MIRR.

Well, but my point was that rather than having the listing of parameters
that you object to, MIRR instead has:

> Values is a series of periodic income (positive values) and payments
> (negative values) at regular intervals (text and empty cells are
> ignored). Investment is the rate of interest of the payments (negative
> values); ReinvestRate is the rate of interest of the reinvestment
> (positive values).

It just reports them in a paragraph of prose.

Personally I don't find than any more useful than listing them in the
other style.

Hope you are having a great evening!

Patrick

> Andreas
>

>> Correct to be consistent with the parameters solution generally.
>>
>> Note that in the cases of "missing" parameters, it may be that the
>> "definitions" were recorded in the prose of "semantics." That may be
>> generally true. In any case, we need to solve the parameter issue
>> consistently.
>>
>> Hope everyone is having a great day!
>>
>> Patrick

patrick@durusau.net