Subject: AVEDEV

Greetings!

Lest we get too focused on the financial functions, can anyone tell me
what is wrong with the following?

AVEDEV - Calculates the average of the absolute deviations of the values
in list.

Yes, it should read, "the values in *a* list." but that's just poor
writing and I can fix  that.

What else is problematic about this function and its definition in
OpenFormula?

*****

Spoiler space

*****

Excluding the math formula, our text in full reads:

> *Summary:* Calculates the average of the absolute deviations of the
> values in list.
>
> *Syntax:* AVEDEV( { /NumberSequenceList/ N }^+ )
>
> *Returns:* Number
>
> *Constraints:* None.

1) Average - not defined.

2) Absolute deviation - not defined

3) Values - not defined (what is the standard deviation of string
values, one from the other?)

4) Values or NumberSequenceList?

5) Calculates - not defined

6) Calculates as opposed to return, returns, compute, computes, finds?

7) No constraints? Suspect that values being numbers (see #8 on present
lack of definition) is one but see #4.

8) Returns Number? (Recalling that number is "defined" as "A number is
simply a numeric value such as 0, -4.5, or $1000." That's an
illustration, not a definition. So, when I apply AVEDEV to a list of
numbers, an application could return a monetary amount? Granting that
might make sense if the input was a series of monetary amounts but I
don't see a limitation here that prevents a string of integers having an
AVEDEV result of $42.

Not to exclude the math formula even though I am not including it in
this email:

Math Formula

9) In order for this to be useful, simply reproducing it is
insufficient. Formulas are defined to be useful assuming particular
inputs and ranges on those inputs. As well as outputs. We don't have to
keep repeating them but we do need to define those inputs, limits and
outputs.

10) What precision required is not specified (not really the fault of
the equation but seemed appropriate to mention here).

Note that fixing many of these issues for AVEDEV fixes the same issue
for other functions.

This should not be seen as being discouraging. The hard part, deciding
what needs to be defined and gathering up an enormous amount of
information on each part has already been done. Plus we are close enough
to say what remains to be defined to fully specify the functions in
OpenFormula.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)