Subject: RE: [office-formula] Style for Function Descriptions

Using my original numbers, perhaps the following observations may be
helpful,

4. It is ordinary to define what the parameters (and results) are,
especially when they have some sort of particular significance (e.g.,
ordinal-represented calendar date, a rate of interest, or an angle expressed
in radians and in the interval -PI() < x <= PI() [and the use of PI() [given
a better definition, by the way], rather than p (mathematical constant pi)
is intentional here].
   It is also important because we are talking about computational
representations of parameters and results for functions to be realized by
computational methods (whether characterized mathematically or otherwise).
   It is not necessary to provide a reference work in any of the topics you
suggest, but sufficient definition so that one can ascertain what
specialized source, if any, is appropriate and which is being represented.
Providing references sources might be important in some cases, but I am
mainly concerned with sufficient definition that one could confirm that an
implementation delivered the requisite function, to some ascertainable
precision.

5. If default constraint-violation response is all that is required, that is
all that needs to be stated, provided of course that one can easily locate
what the default is.  The practice of stating this explicitly is a
demonstration of care and removes concern that omission is an oversight.

6. See (5).  I am not asking for duplication but there are clearly error
cases that arise as a result of constraints or computational limitations.
When anything specific is expected, it should be called out.  If there is
nothing exceptional, it would be good to declare that in some simple way.
(The paragraph that isn't clear to you is intended to mean nothing more than
that.)

10. I have no objection to one computational function being defined in terms
of another one, when that is indeed what is meant by the use of the same
capitalized function-reference form.  I am concerned when that is not the
case and the use of an OpenFormula expression is not intended.  (In using
the PI() example in (4), I didn't have in mind any place where that is
appropriate, but can conceive of the possibility it might be appropriate in
some instance.  Cases where PI() > p might be troublesome unless some sort
of e (epsilon) allowance is made.)

 - Dennis